Christian religions, most often conservative and evangelical Christians, believe that purity is necessary to live a righteous, moral, and Godly lifestyle. Purity is not just sexual purity but being free from sin in its entirety.
Guidelines given to Christians that are a must in order to live a pure life include:
- Chastity is essential.
- No sex until marriage
- No sexual thoughts until marriage
- No masturbation until marriage
- Your body is not your own. It is the property of God and anything you do to it is an act against Him.
- You must remain pure to please God
- To remain pure is to remain free of corruption and sin
- You are respecting yourself and others by remaining pure
- Purity promotes good choices
- Supports good health and a long life.
- Helps you live free of guilt and regret
- It cultivates a community of loving individuals with honor and affection.
- Purity is necessary to achieve salvation.
- Sex and marriage is to remain between a man and a woman.
*These are general guidelines different churches and denominations may sway to these guidelines in different manners*
Many of these guidelines are toxic to a whole, well rounded, strong, and mentally well individual. Sex is natural and given to us by God (If you do believe in God and the Christian religion at all).
It is okay to personally choose to remain chaste, it is okay to personally want to wait for sex until marriage, but putting those restrictions on your salvation, your worthiness and love of God, you’re creating guilt, shame, fear, and unworthiness in individuals.
Judging others for not doing so is also against the Bible, if you want to believe you do not cherry pick versus to follow. Matthew 7: 1&2 “Judge not, that you be not judged. For the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you.”
As I unpack further into purity culture and each specific belief, different groups, religions, and quotes from religious individuals I hope you follow along.
Find more about Purity Culture here: Purity Culture Series